The EU Cookie Law Countdown is ON!
As the EU Cookie law deadline looms, are you prepared? Perhaps you’re not aware of the Law? Here’s a quick run-down:
So what exactly are Cookies used for?
Cookies are used by almost all websites, for a variety of purposes:
- Analysis of user behaviour (Analytics)
- To personalise pages and remember visitor preferences
- To manage shopping baskets in online stores
- To track users across websites and deliver targeted advertising
So many questions…
What? Websites must obtain consent from visitors
Why? To protect online user privacy
Who? The law is regulated by The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
When? The Law is already in effect as a ‘grace period’. This will end on May 26th, 2012
Not Compliant? You could receive up to half a million pounds fine (extreme cases only!)
So what should you do?
- Audit your site to find out what cookies your website has
- Find out what these cookies are used for, and which ones you need to get consent for (there are some exemptions)
- Work out how to get consent from your visitors to set cookies on their device. See some great examples here>>