The importance of effective calls to action (CTA)
One of the most obvious but vitally important part of any digital marketing campaign are effective calls to action (CTA).
When we talk about calls to action in a digital marketing sense, we mean clear and obvious links on a website which is a prompt a user to click it and continue down a conversion funnel.
There is surely nothing worse than spending good money to get potential customers to your website, and then miss out on their business because your competitors have better calls to action than you!
Typically (there are hundreds) a call to action could be:
- Get a quote – a simple form which when filled in is sent to a sales person to follow up.
- Add to cart – possibly the most common and simple call to action seen on eCommerce websites
- Download – this might be a brochure or datasheet. Typically these involve some form of data capture but not always.
- Call – the often forgotten but surely the most obvious call to action of all – but make sure it is measurable with call stats and use a “website or campaign only” number so it can be tracked later.
- Start a chat – this is a nice way of interacting with visitors during working hours. Zopim is great.
Whatever your goal might be it is important that:
- It is clear and obvious – Sounds obvious but don’t hide it! Make it the most obvious part of your page and explain to visitors what will happen one they complete the goal.
- Easy to do – Again not rocket science but make sure the thing you are asking the user to do is easily done. Test it on users, make sure they don’t misunderstand or get confused.
- Measurable – Use Google Analytics or similar to measure the numbers of online conversions and split them by the traffic source so you can see what works. With calls use campaign or website only numbers which have call data so you can see how many calls your website generated.